Re: 2.6.17-rc1-mm1: KEXEC became SMP-only

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 01:45:04AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

>>> Changes since 2.6.16-mm2:
>>> +x86-clean-up-subarch-definitions.patch
>>>  x86 updates.
>>>
>> The following looks bogus:
>>

> It is.
>

>>  config KEXEC
>>         bool "kexec system call (EXPERIMENTAL)"
>> -       depends on EXPERIMENTAL
>> +       depends on EXPERIMENTAL && (!X86_VOYAGER && SMP)
>>
>> The dependencies do now say that KEXEC is only offered for machines that
>> are _both_ non-Voyager and SMP.
>>
>> Is the problem you wanted to express that a non-SMP Voyager config
>> didn't compile?
>>
>> AFAIR I recently sent a patch disallowing non-SMP Voyager configurations
>> that wasn't yet applied.
>>

> I think this cleanup patch is even going in the wrong direction.  The
> subarch code right now is a real pain because it is never clear when
> you are calling a function with multiple definitions.  Which makes it
> really easy to break.
>
> If we are going to refactor this can we please move in the direction
> of a machine vector like alpha, ppc, and arm.  I don't see the current
> this cleanup making it any easier to tell there is code in a subarch.

No, this cleanup only eliminates the need to duplicate redundant code.
How does a machine vector make it any harder to break?  You still have a
function with multiple definitions.  Duplicating code makes things
really easy to break - twice.

[Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Photo]     [Yosemite]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Linux Resources]