Re: command to recreate an FS?

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:43:04AM -0700, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Morty wrote:
> > Is there a lightweight command to recreate an ext2/ext3/ext4 FS with
> > original options,
>
> If no options have been specified to mke2fs, newer versions of e2fsprogs
> are shipping with /etc/mke2fs.conf which holds a few defaults.

Even if no options were specified, some distros use UUID as the basis
for FS mounts.  That's great if disks move around, but not so good if I
upgrade from one disk to another.  And if I did specify options to
mke2fs when creating the FS, or if I ran tune2fs to change options
later, it would be nice to have an easy way to recreate those options.

> > If nothing like this already exists, I'll whip up something in Perl.
>
> Be sure to publish the download URL once it's ready ;-)

Will do.

Speaking of which, is there a way to set the directory hash seed?
tune2fs -l will show me the current hash seed, but I don't see an
option in mke2fs or tune2fs to set it.

- Morty