Re: LCD Monitors

In a message dated 6/9/02 6:16:06 PM, dd-b@dd-b.net writes:

>Not well suppported?

Right, many combinations of Windows versions, video cards, and software do
not support this well, glad to hear you are the exception.

 I know a lot of PC people doing it, and most of
>them aren't even particularly sophisticated users.  Just plug the
>cards in and configure them.  Drag the monitors around the little
>display to show their physical relationship.

Yes, they have copied most of this fairly successfully from the Mac OS by
now...

  With the graphic drivers
>for my card it even lets you set a separate profile for each monitor
>(but I haven't tested carefully to make sure it's not lying about
>using them).  (Windows 98SE, Matrox G400 Max Dual).

Graphics cards do not hold ICC profiles, but channel curves. Getting seperate
channel curves to both monitors is possible with some cards, and not with
others. Getting seperate profiles created, assigned, and used by Photoshop
and other applications to correct the color differentially to parts of the
application's display would be a significant trick.

Windows does not automatically flash the associated channel curves to the
card as profiles are selected in the OS as happens on the Mac. Due to the
fact that color adjustments are happening at two different levels (vidoe card
LUTs, and ICC profiles) it is difficult to be sure that you are in fact
getting the whole process correctly for a given monitor in a multiple monitor
configuration; yes the color is being changed, but is it by the LUTs only, or
the profile only, or both; and is it the correct version of each?

I stand by my statement that it is not currently practical to use two
monitors and expect accurate color on each in Photoshop, unless they share a
primary color definition, hence can use the same profile definition.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-