Re: comparisions of inks using paper chromatography

In a message dated 6/7/02 9:12:53 PM, Diane.Gutierrez@westgroup.com writes:

>A simple way to determine the component colors in an ink, and arrive at
>
>conclusions about its gamut, reflectance and color balance.

I will admit to having abused medical equipment centrifuging and chromaticly
filtering inks... but such tricks do not offer hard or fast info about any of
the above. Gamut, color balance and reflectance are all related to some
degree to how the ink is positioned on a given media as well as settings
used, so only relative data could acheived this way, not anything absolute.
Component colors could indeed be determined, but reflective prints, unlike
some transmissive color sources (notably LEDs) are not point sources at a
given wavelength, but whole big chunks of the spectrum, reflecting at the
same time, in order to reflect enough light to look bright.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com