Re: Sharpening [was Re: Resolution and print quality]

<x-flowed>In article <00bf01c20d58$5074f300$c44c7ad5@home1>, Bob Frost
<bobfrost@btopenworld.com> writes
>Kennedy (& Harvey),
>
>I hesitate to continue this discussion, having been doing serious
>photography for only a couple of years, and being a scientist rather than an
>arts person. However, I don't agree that the only sharpening required is
>that necessary to replace that lost during scanning etc. This might be the
>case if your photography is of the 'record picture' type - trying to
>reproduce exactly the scene in front of the lens. But I don't think that is
>what most 'serious' photographers do. They 'enhance' their images, by every
>physical, chemical, and electronic trick in the book, to try to produce an
>unreal picture that satisfies their artistic interpretation of the scene.
>Enhancement of edges - sharpening - is surely just one of those tricks.

Yes, but the issue is whether it is done to the point where the image no
longer looks realistic.  I doubt that any of Ansel Adams scenes look
exactly as his photographs (even if you were colour blind) because he
has suitably selected the exposure of each area on the image to enhance
the information it contains.  But it isn't obvious to the viewer of any
of his images.

>The fault that many photographers perhaps have is of applying an equal
>amount of sharpening to the whole image. Painters don't seem to do that;
>they are more selective in what they sharpen and by how much.

That is fine when it is used to selectively and subtly enhance a
particular feature, but when it is applied broadbrush to the point where
it is obvious (which is almost as soon as the losses of the capture
process are compensated for at any resolvable spatial frequency) then it
ceases to be enhancement, but a general detraction from the image.

>Bob Frost (awaiting the flak)

No chance - we both have our own opinions.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers

</x-flowed>