Black smudges and lines from 1270

<x-flowed>Help,
Most annoying is that my 1270 is dropping black ink in small lines or dots
on my prints.
I'm using Epson pgpp and inks. The black cartridge is 1/2 full and the
color is full.

It is also putting black smudges on the front left edge bleeding into the back.
I've probably run 20 11x14s and 30 8x10s in the last month or so. And the
printer was previously used by a pro photog.

 From this forum I suspect pads may be full, but I'm a bit of a klutz (put
kindly) and also fear getting into some sort of reset problem.

Any suggestions?
Tom Sawyer

-

</x-flowed>