Re: LCD Monitors

In a message dated 5/23/02 4:51:26 PM, kpoth@bellsouth.net writes:

>To C. David Tobie et al:
>

>1.  Should I buy a 19" LCD?  If so, which make and model?
>

>2.  Should I buy a 19" CRT?  If so, which make and model?

Either one can do a good job, but LCDs currrently cost more. Most everything
else about them is advantageous.

>3.  How does one setup a 2-monitor system, say a 19" for the working image
>
>and a 15" to hold the tools?  Special software or video card needed?

Depends on your platform. On Windows this is not as well supported, on the
Mac its commonplace to calibrate two monitors. Unfortunately on both
platforms applications only correct color to one profile, so the second
monitor needs to have the same colorspace as the main monitor, or it won't be
right for color work. Thats one reason I use the Cinema 22 and Studio 17 LCDs
from Apple side by side; both have the same color charateristics, so once the
specific curves for each have been applied by the OS, the profile from the
main display is an excellent description of the second monitor as well. In
your case the Apple 17 and 15 inch Studio LCDs could be used in a similar
manner.

>4.  What thinks the group about the LaCie monitors?

Despite my feelings about LaCie contintuing their deceptive marketing
practices for their proprietary monitor calibration, they do have nice
LCDs... not any nicer than the Mitsubishis that they are based on, however.

>I really need to make an immediate decision.

Then thats a factor. CompUSA could probably sell you a pair of 17 and 15 inch
StudioLCDs and a DVIator system to hook the second one to right off the
floor, though they do not necessarily have the right type of video cards on
stock, for some reason.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com