Re: "proofing lights"

In a message dated 5/14/02 7:10:06 PM, bhansen2@twcny.rr.com writes:

>I'm more than a little confused by parts of the Ott light thread. Are
>people using these lamps to assist with creation of printer profiles, or
>assist with monitor profiling, or both? The talk of "reflectors" and black
>
>boxes has also left me behind.
>
>Can someone point me to a source of info which would bring me up to speed?

I'm afraid this *is* the source of information...

Monitor calibration can occur in pitch blackness... and ideally should. The
only monitor connection is that you are using the light to compare a print to
the monitor... the light being on the print, not the monitor. This is
significant for profile building and editing. An OttLite is a better choice
than most other affordable solutions. If you buy it in a lamp, they will have
provided a reasonable reflector for you. If you but a screw-in, then be
careful what you reflect it with... this includes your walls.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com