Re: 3rd party inks

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Once again, thanks for all the feedback and helping me learn more about all
this. Once my web site is
available - which will be soon - I'll post to this list so that people can
understand more about the kind of
work I'm involved in and how digital imagery plays a role in that.

Once the 2200 is available I feel sure I'll need to learn about and use
custom profiling. In the meantime, and based
on Bob's comments below, maybe someone could answer another thing I've been
struggling to understand:

When I scan a slide with the Nikon scanner, I scan in 42-bit mode. Based on
the ppi I'm scanning at, and very basic
arithmetic, the size of the resulting TIFF file makes perfect sense -
typically around 100 megabytes. When I
open that same file in Paint Shop Pro (7.0.4) it reports the image as being
a 24-bit image with a size about half the
file's true size on the hard drive. Then when I save a copy of it (unedited)
the copy on the hard drive is also half the original
file size (I've checked the compression option to make sure I'm saving it
uncompressed). My question is this: does this
degradation in file size (and presumably therefore in quality) have anything
to do with the color space I use to scan the
image in the first place?