Re: Video Cards, Advise and Going Wacky

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> >It's an ASUS A7V 133 Motherboard, 900MHz Athlon (massive tower heatsink
with
> >2 cooling fans), BT Speedway ISDN internal modem, SMC EZ 1211TX 10/100
> >Network card, LG DVD, Liteon CD-RW, 2 x Fujitsu HDDs at 8 and 20Gb, and 1
> >IBM-DTLA HDD (40Gb, 7200RPM). No audio, and usually an Adaptec 2944 or
2940
> >SCSI controller for whatever I'm currently writing a driver for - hence
no
> >SCSI disks, so that I can't prevent the OS from accessing its drive when
I'm
> >testing buggy code. The HDDS are in 5 inch carriers with external cooling
> >fans fitted. The PSU is low-noise (approved for AMD CPUs), 350W.  768 Mb
> >PC-133 SDRAM by a well-known brand which I forget (can't read them
without
> >shutting down and removing one). WinNT2000 with all SP and security fixes
> >applied up to date. Oh, and the ATI AGP video which works fine at 1280 x
> >1024 x 32bit :-)
> >
> >D.
> >
> >Dave Emmerson wrote:
> >FWIW, I found dual-head Matrox cards to be totally incompatible with the
> >rest of my custom system (no on-board video), repeatedly freezing it
solid
> >after an hour's use. I'd taken care to keep the area around the boards'
> >cooling fans clear, and the inside of the case was cool. I eventually
binned
> >them in disgust and bought cheaper ATI cards which have been perfectly
> >adequate. Your mileage may vary. D.

The Matrox video cards run just fine with the A7V133 motherboards. I speak
from the experience of twenty or thirty systems that are rock-solid
reliable.

There are other issues involved, perhaps with your other peripherals, PCI
assignments, etc.

-

</x-charset>