Re: Storage

Kay,

> Waht do people use for archiving thir precious digital files now?  Does anyone
> know the presumed longevity of hard drives, CDs, and DVDs.  Which one gives
> the most reliable long-term storage, and are there any brands which are better
> tahn others.  I've been using the Kodak Silver/Gold Cds, but they are no
> longer making them.

Quality is certainly an issue with home-made CD's...  Guess it won't be
difficult
to find a decent test in some PC magazine...  Personally I only use Philips
Premium Silver Professional CR-R's, which were tested best in Holland some year
ago.

> I'm also using hard drives, but am not sure how long they
> are supposed to last.  DVD is still quite expensive.

Nothing is 100% reliable: when copying one hard disk to another recently I found
that one file did't make it (binary images differed).  Nothing wrong though
according to several disk scans...

I myself would be very happy if the issue of writable DVD standards would be
resolved...  Still too many types to be able to make a decision...  But being
forced to burn 100-200 CD's a year (and store them somewhere) doesn't sound
very attractive either!  DVD cost would be less of an issue for me.

Curious what others think...

Job
-