Re: Assigning profiles in Photoshop

There's at least one exception to this general rule: I just prepared several
files for Lightjet enlargements by Calypso, who provide detailed file
preparation instructions on their Web site. They provide downloadable profiles
for Mac and PC for Fuji Crystal Archive glossy, matte, and ultra-glossy, and
explicitly instruct you to *convert* (not assign) the appropriate profile for
the paper surface you request before sending them the file.

Incidentally, while Lightjet prints are usually fairly expensive, I have to
commend them highly for giving "preferred" pricing to clients who color manage
and submit files that meet their requirements for this substantially reduced
price. At those prices, you get no proofs, but if you calibrate your monitor and
color manage effectively you shouldn't need them. However, since this is my
first submission for Lightjet prints, the jury is still out on how effective
their profiles are. Here's a link if anyone is interested:
http://www.calypsoinc.com/ (click "Lightjet Prints" in the left pane to get to
the details about these prints).

Bernie

-