RE: Colorvision RGB Profiler; good or bad???

Wire Moore Wrote:

> Anyway, soft proofing is a fine idea except that I've found it typically
> useless for Epson output using OEM dye inks and glossy paper. What I see
> printed for skies is in no way represented in the soft proof, so
> correction
> guided by the soft proof is impossible.

This has more to do with the quality of your profile, not the usefulness of
soft proofing.

> Further, the idea of soft proofing typical Epson photographic output seems
> questionable. According to Chromix Gamut View document my monitor gamut as
> detected by Sequel puck and Monaco EZ Color 2 is much smaller and covers a
> significantly different area than the Monaco or Epson printer profiles for
> dye ink on PGPP. So a soft proof of this media is pointless. And
> as often as
> not for my Epson photo prints, I find the normal mode Photoshop monitor
> rendering a much better predictor of the printed results than the soft
> proof.

Epson's canned profile for PGPP appears to extend quite far into green -- so
far that it is out-of-gamut for Adobe RGB. Quite frankly, I don't put much
faith in this. The Monaco profiles I've made for PGPP show more realistic
gamut boundaries, which are, for the most part, within my monitor's gamut.
Scanner-based profiles are supposedly not accurate for ascertaining gamut
boundaries, so perhaps those with spectros can comment further.

My experience with soft-proofing Epson inks and glossy papers seems quite
different than yours. I find the soft proof to be a very accurate predictor
of what will come out on paper. The other day I was printing a photo
featuring deep reds and yellows from the setting sun. The profile was having
a difficult time rendering dark reds (in the range of 0-50) without a bit of
a magenta cast. The soft proof showed this perfectly, and allowed me to
correct for it before printing.

Matt
Bird Photography, Articles, Site Guides
www.mhbirdphoto.com