Re: where's a good place to buy paper profiles?

<x-flowed>At 12:55 AM -0500 9/19/01, Maris V. Lidaka, Sr. wrote:
>If the profiles "referenced" are not generated by you, why on earth should
>we rely on them?  Who generates them, and how do they generate them?

Um... I think we are miscommunicating again.

The profiles referenced in ProfileCentral.com are there for the
purpose of helping people find a variety of profiles for their
devices, their printing processes other's printing processes, etc.
They are not, as I mentioned, built by us and we have no (practical)
way of testing them. They are simply there for your reference.

I am not asking for you to rely on these generic profiles. Test them
perhaps, but rely on them? no.

>We on this list are in need of accurate profiles, and need to know how
>3rd-party profiles are generated, so an open answer would be appreciated in
>place of a middle-man's spiel.

well, I can't offer much more than a middle-man's spiel. As in this
case, we are the middle men (and women).

I understand that your requirements for accurate profiles are high.
You are bringing to light the very discussion I had early on with
people about the validity and benefit of handling ANY device profiles
in ProfileCentral.com. What we found was that the manufacturing
variation within printer lines was low enough - in many cases - to
make good generic profiles usable by multiple people. Also, using our
color tool ColorThink, profiles for printers / papers / inks, etc
that people are not currently using could be downloaded simply for
the purpose of evaluating and comparing their gamuts.

As I mentioned before, ProfileCentral.com is in the middle of a
rebuild so there is very little available right now but over the next
few months you will see a lot of growth in this area.

>We also know that individual printers are different, and a broad claim that
>"profiles are based on standard Epson media and inks *I believe*"" is far
>from satisfactory, as is a general representation that profiles are
>'custom-generated from our kit for individual printers', when each printer
>is in fact different..

They are indeed. And that is why we offer our custom profile service
- to be renamed ColorValet over the next week. It is precisely these
variations and the quality level desired by the readers of this list
that call for custom solutions. I think that it is fair to say that
the generic profile does not apply to you. <g>

At 9:16 PM -0400 9/18/01, Matt Hagadorn wrote:

>I do not have experience with custom profiles from Chromix, but Steve Upton
>has made many valuable contributions to this list and others. He is what
>most would consider an upstanding netizen, and if he says your satisfaction
>is guranteed, I'd believe it. What have you got to lose?

aw gee <shuffle> thanks Matt <shuffle, shuffle>

>| What have you got to lose?
>
>Ninety-nine dollars.

a good point I must admit

>Sorry, Steve, but I'm a lawyer.

Oh well, that explains everything!  <grin>

>  Limitation of you liability and full-refund
>if the product is not satisfactory are two different things.

indeed this is true. As I mentioned, we are updating the site and the
kit to explain (and commit) more clearly the guarantee.

>How is your experience with Red River Paper?  I like their paper and used it
>successfully with my hp PhotoSmart 1000, but I just gave it away to my
>(dear) daughter so I could (justify) buy(ing) an Epson C80.  The epson
>prints fine on Epson paper, but terribly on the Red River 43 lb. "Premium
>High Gloss" and passably on their "Premium Matte C1S"

Off the top of my head I do recall seeing it go through here but I
don't remember the results, sorry. If it prints terribly from a
physical point of view (puddling, bronzing, puckering, etc) then a
profile won't help, but if it is color, then a profile should help.

>What can you do for me?

For you, a deal!

I'll put my risk where my mouth is. If you want to try a profile with
us, print the target and send it in. But don't fill out the credit
card information. That should pretty much remove any risk that we'll
charge you no?

Then if you like it, fax it on over. If not, no problemo.

That should reduce your risk down to some paper, ink and time (let's
not go there <g> )

Please, let's keep this special offer just for Maris Lidaka OK?

Regards,

Steve

  Steve Upton
             CHROMiX / Profile Central