RE: Workflow and Histograms

<x-flowed>>I'm not sure everyone's saying the same thing. The important question seems
>to be this: if you have multiple adjustment layers, and you flatten them
>onto the image, does Photoshop first compute a combined transformation
>function and then apply this once to the image, or does it apply each
>adjustment to the image in sequence the way one might do it manually? In the
>former case, it could produce superior results on 8-bit images; in the
>latter case, it is only a user-interface convenience.

The only way I know to determine this is to apply the same edits to
two identical copies of an image, one using adjustment layers, the
other applied directly, then compare the results (I use Apply Image,
Subtract, with an offset of 128). The results are two identical files.

The benefit of Adjustment Layers is that you can tweak the
adjustments with no quality loss until you flatten the image,which
you can't do with sequential edits applied directly to the image. So
I'd say it's a bit more than a UI convenience.

Bruce
--
bruce@pixelboyz.com
-