RE: underwelmed by thumbnail software

<x-flowed>At 11:40 PM 8/25/01 -0700, you wrote:
>ThumbsPlus 4.5, (PC Only) http://www.cerious.com/ $80US
>
>Cumulus 5 (PC and MAC). http://www.canto.com $99US / $99US
>
>Portfolio 5.0, (PC and MAC) http://www.extensis.com $99US
>
>FotoStation 4.5, (PC and MAC) http://www.fotostation.com/main.asp $99US
>
>IMatch 3.0, (PC Only) http://www.photools.com $49US
>

>ThumbsPlus has a very loyal following, but it's user interface is not my
>taste.  I used Portfolio for quite a while with good results, it is very
>close to being excellent, which drove me crazy and unfortunately,
>Extensis doesn't seem very interested in fixing it's flaws.  I currently
>use Cumulus which I have grown to like more than Portfolio, I was forced
>into it at first since it is one of only 2 choices for the raw NEF files
>that my Nikon D1X produces.  I have't used FotoStation much, so can't
>really comment.  IMatch is not very well known but it is EXCELLENT.  I
>would be using it in a second if it supported Nikons NEF files (it may
>in the near future), check it out for sure.

One that you didn't mention -- and was mentioned in a
recent post -- is XnView, which I've grown to like in just a
couple of day's experimenting with it.

<http://www.xnview.com> or <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g>

It was able to read the CDs of mine that ThumbsPlus
choked on, and is pretty quick.  Best yet, it's freeware.

rafe b.

</x-flowed>