re: PS/memory/printing problems help!

James,
I hope you have solved the problem by now, but I will post this in case it
helps you or others.  My experience is that memory problems are affected
not only by the amount of RAM allocated to Photoshop (as several people
have already suggested), but also the amount of RAM available for printing
seems to get smaller the longer you have Photoshop running.  Particularly
when editing a large file like yours, the more you work with the file the
more History states you accumulate, and they can eat up large chunks of
RAM.

Whenever I have encountered the message you describe, I quit Photoshop
which frees up the RAM, then re-launch Photoshop, open the file and
immediately print it.  That usually works.

Bruce Fraser has an excellent section on RAM memory in his book Real World
Photoshop.  One of his more interesting points (page 6) is that Photoshop
can only use RAM memory in an amount equal to the size of your available
Scratch disk space.  So you may think you have a lot of RAM allocated to
Photoshop, but if your free space on the Scratch disk is small, Photoshop
can't use all that RAM.

*Rick Stare