Re: 1270 vs. 1280; old vs. new?

<x-charset Windows-1252>Phil:

The 1160 is a 4pl 4-color printer and does a fine
job printing.  It does NOT have the chip on the
ink cartridges which makes it very easy to adapt
to CIS units.  Also, using the same inkset in a 4
color vs a 6 color, you theoretically will get
better lightfastness with the 4 color inks.  The
two diluted inks in the 12XX printers fades the
fastest.

I have compared the same image from my 1160 to my
1270 and see very little difference when using the
same paper.  There is some evidence of more subtle
gradations in the lighter colored areas of the
image with the 1270, due to the two extra colors.
On the other hand, most agree that the images are
somewhat sharper using the 1160.  As usual, no
perfect machine.

It is only recently that a CIS system has been
developed to handle the chipped cartridges, so
what you remember about the older models is now
mostly passee.  One other thing...Black and white
inksets are much easier to develop for the 4 color
printers, which may have also been part of what
you are remembering.

Choices, choices, choices.

bob snow
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

LINKS:
Epson FAQ Site: http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/
Epson List Archives: