PS/memory/printing problems help!

I'm running out of things to try.

After having a run of problems where Photoshop would do an unexpected
quit when trying to print (Mac),
and where I found ways to solve that, now I'm getting a new one:
"insufficient memory for that
operation (printing)- try quitting other running applications".  But
there are no other running apps.
I've tried everything I can think of short of reinstalling PS, which I
guess I'll try next unless someone
can suggest something.  I've cleared every cache I can think of, I've
optimized disks, I've checked every
way I can think of that no other apps are running, I've reduced PS's
memory allocation- and this is
all after I've already printed these files before.  Yes, they're big,
but they've printed several times in
the past with no problem.  Any ideas appreciated.

thanks,

James Irelan