RE: Whinging about Photoshop's Image Size

Scale To Fit Media is not in Photoshop 5.0.2. However, I think this feature
_belongs_ in the Image Size dialog, because that's where you tell Photoshop
how many pixels there are in an inch. If the Print dialog has a Scale To Fit
Media, then it's disobeying the Resolution in the Image Size dialog, and
that number becomes meaningless, even though it's there and you can set it
to something.

At least in Windows, even if you're not printing, there's always a printer
selected, and there's always a page size in effect, and Photoshop always
knows what it is, and uses those dimensions when you click on the size in
the status bar to see how the image fits on the page. If you aren't worried
about page size at the time, then you can ignore all those functions
(including a Fit To Page button).

A Fit To Page button in Image Size should do exactly what I do manually by
trial and error, which is to find the smallest dpi that doesn't result in
clipping. Since the number would be displayed in the Resolution box, I'd be
able to read it and decide if it's too low for the quality I want. It sounds
like Scale To Fit Media doesn't let me see how many dpi it's printing at.

Not that any of this has much to do with Epson printers...

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

-