pixels, bis

Kennedy, don't stop now! You're on a roll!

Somewhere out there I know there's a real world analogy on the threshold

of utterance. After struggling with current, amperage and voltage for
some sixty years, someone gave this fuzzy-minded schoolteacher the image

of a waterfall; for the first time, I held the terms clear in my mind.
Mind you, they were less clear when I awoke the next morning, but for a
few shining moments I knew that in a post-apocalyptic world I could
confidently offer my services in the rewiring of New York. (That's a
Canadian for you; wish the Yanks bad cess, but hey, that's where the
jobs are!)

Now apparently pixels are data like other data: electrical pulses that
turn switches off and on. But I'm getting the impression that pixel data

is bounded data, something like what Dan Margulis calls the "spots" that

make up half-tone dots. If that ain't so, how do pixels differ from the
stream of shut-it-offs and turn-it-ons that makes up, say, the mutual
fund information coming to me every night via an old DOS financial
program? If my question put this way strikes you as hopelessly muddled,
then you at least have a notion of where most of us probably are, and
where I certainly am. I don't *need* notions of voltage and stuff; when
there's trouble along those lines, I call a guy and he comes (after a
while) and I pay him money and everything's all right again. But making
pictures on my Epsons is very important to me, and I wish I could grasp
what these units are that carry the picture so effortlessly between my
machines.

Bob Bollini