Re: Genuine Fractals - Yet Another Test/Opinion - a 4X comparison

In article <000801c124f7$284de480$891e2cd1@pentium450>, Laurie Solomon
<laurie@advancenet.net> writes

>However, even in inches, I do not think that the Nikon CoolScan IV scans
>anything larger than 35mm or produes an optical 300 dpi scanner file that
>would have native image dimensions of 8x13 inches without having undergone
>resizing either in the scanner driver or in an image editing application.
>This raises the question of whether or not the original image was merely
>rescaled or if it was also downsampled prior to running the GF and Photoshop
>comparison tests.

The critical line from his post is:

>I took an unmodified scanned image in TIF format size - 8.65' x 13.17'
>@300dpi and saved it as a FIF.

It doesn't say that it was scanned at 300dpi, nor that it was originally
8.65x13.17in (or even feet).  It just says it was an unmodified scanned
image.  If a 35mm frame was scanned in the CS-IV at 2850ppi, then it
would certainly result in an image slightly larger than these dimensions
at 300ppi, and allowing for some cropping is well within the capability
of the scanner.

Changing the ppi setting doesn't change the image.  :-)
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers