Profiling paper

I am learning so much from this group since my experiences are somewhat
limited. I am beginning to understand some of this color management stuff. I
am confused about one thing though. How (don't laugh) do you  actually
profile your various papers. I keep reading about  paper profiling but I have no
idea how you do that. Can someone enlighten me or point me to some
reading material  on line (or off).
Thanks,
Judith

Judith Barnett