RE: A new myth ?

<x-charset Windows-1252>Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:25:45 -0500
From: "LAURIE SOLOMON" <LAURIE@ADVANCENET.NET>
Subject: RE: A new myth ?
said:
<People on this list and on other lists like the Photoshop lists, or the
scanner lists tend to be the smaller group of more demanding and
sophisticated technical users; and they tend to want devices that duplicate
the high end commercial devices but at man-on-the street prices for both the
device and the expendables.  I also get the impression that they would also
like those low priced high quality devices to be maintenance free >
Well said Laurie,
I have often wondered if I had of "known" the real truth about profiling, I would have dipped my toes in that water. But here I am years later and many dollars less, beginning to agree with Rafe,,, is all this stuff really improving my output. Maybe I am more demanding, after being a professional artist, printmaker, for many years, translating my work into digital seemed the next step. What a long road. My son, in the software business, no he is not looking for work, had repeated told me the truth about low cost software. Low cost to him is anything under 4oo.oo, it may work somewhat but it did it all,,,, you are going to pay. This field of color management with inkjets is still too young to have enough people demanding quality and software developers ready to lay out the high cost of creating the programs. Over the last couple of years this list has mushroomed like crazy, hooray for us and I'm sure it has brought about changes and authors out there busily writing code. If I w!
as a newbie on this list now, my eyes would be crossed from all the input. Which one where ! Have I found the golden chalice? No, I am simply resigned to the fact, there are just no easy outs.
Subscribing to this list, thus far, had proven to be the cheapest and best fix for my profiling problems. Alan, I am much ashamed I have been one who uses your list <http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/>  and have not sent you my experience with different papers and inks. I will do so in the future and encourage the rest of you to do the same. I think our salvation from this maze lies in out support of each other.
Thanks for listening, Pat

</x-charset>