Re: sending large picture files on aol

At 02:27 PM 7/23/01 -0400, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

[rafe b:]
>>b.) ZIPing or STUFing an unnamed file does't solve
>>the naming problem, does it?

[vincent]
>Just to be facetious - I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to
>even CREATE an "unnamed" file far less to ZIP/Stuff it! If it had no
>name, would it even have a naming problem?
>
>More reasonably, the particular message you're quoting had nothing
>whatsoever to do with naming issues.

[rafe b]
>>AFAIK, MIME encoding doesn't give hoot what kind of
>>file it's encoding.

[vincent]
>The point being?

I'm not sure if I'm responding to you or to Mr.
Tobie.  Seemed to me there was an implication or
suggestion that Zipping, or Stuffit-compressing a
file (JPG or TIFF) prior to sending it via email,
offered some sort of protection for that file --
protection for those special "resource fork" items
that Mac files have and PC files don't.

That's the specific notion that I'm arguing against,
and that's why I made the point about MIME.

The PC user obviously won't have the benefit of
those "resource fork" items, but that's not because
they were lost in the mail...

Like I say -- I've been exchanging graphics files
with Mac users, via email, for quite some time,
with no problems.

I admit to (blissful) ignorance of AOL-specific issues.

rafe b.