Re: Using Epson 870 Profile

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Thanks for your continuing helpful suggestions.  As noted in my earlier
posts, I've tried every combination of Epson-driver and
Photoshop-print-dialog settings I could manipulate into, including all of
those mentioned below.  Nevertheless, skin tones of prints appear too pink.

I'm now to the point where I must think "outside the box".  To this end, I
note that (i) the image onscreen in Photoshop is essentially perfect; (ii)
in viewing my prints under normal flourescent or incandescent light, skin
tones appear only a little too pink; (iii) in viewing my prints under the
5000K light, skin tones appear WAY TOO pink, whereas I was of the
understanding that viewing prints under a 5000K lamp was the closest to
viewing a monitor set to 6500K.  (Go figure!)

With respect to your message (see below), one matter to point out is that if
one selects Setup>Custom>ICM in the manner you suggest, the print driver
defaults to 720dpi.  One MUST go to "Advanced" in order to obtain the 1440
setting.  Further, altough I am not the authority, there has been comment
that selecting ICM either way (Custom>ICM or Advanced>ICM) leads to
identical results (except perhaps the dpi setting).  What differences in
results do YOU see between using Custom>ICM and Advanced>ICM?

As to the print dialog, yes, of course you are correct; the print dialog is
a Photoshop function.  But this is to be contrasted with the Epson "Print
Preview" screen, which IS part of the Epson software.

You also wrote the following:

> Use Photoshop Print Dialog: Space Window = Adobe 1998 or RGB Space.
Leaving
> this set to Epson 870 Printer may also be OK, but putting in Adobe 1998
> insures that no other color transformations take place that might give you
> the red shift.

Are you sure about this?  I reiterate that I am not the definitive
authority; however, my understanding is as follows:

If one is using a CUSTOM profile, then Print Dialog: Space Window = "Adobe
1998 or RGB Space" means that the image as it existed in the Photoshop
working space is sent to the printer.  Therefore, one must FIRST execute a
"profile-to-profile" (in Photoshop 5.5) from one's working space to the
printer space (the custom profile) because the printer will not do so by
itself.  (This assumes "No color Adjustment" was also selected.)  By
contrast, if the Print Dialog: Space Window = "one's named custom printer
profile", then that profile is being applied on the fly, which, in turn,
means that "profile-to-profile" (in Photoshop 5.5) need NOT be executed.

If the above is correct, then ONE WOULD ASSUME (that's probably a mistake)
that using the canned Epson profile works similarly, to wit:  Print Dialog:
Space Window = "Adobe 1998 or RGB Space" means that the image as it existed
in the Photoshop working space is sent to the printer.  Therefore, one must
FIRST execute a "profile-to-profile" (in Photoshop 5.5) from one's working
space to the printer space (the custom profile) because the printer will not
do so by itself.  By contrast, if the Print Dialog: Space Window = "Epson
870" (or one's named printer), then the canned Epson profile is being
applied on the fly, which, in turn, means that "profile-to-profile" (in
Photoshop 5.5) need NOT be executed.

Although I am reasonably confident that I understand the aforesaid events
when using a custom profile, there may a Microsoft-sized bug in my
understanding of the application of the canned Epson profile, as witnessed
by the PCM (checked vs. unchecked) variable as well as using any driver
setting other than "No Color Adjustment".  But I must add, I do not believe
your understanding of the matter is correct either.  (Not that you haven't
given it considerable and admirable thought.)  The problem is the evidence
that does not fall into line, and it takes but one iota of evidence to
DISPROVE the hypothesis.

So let's keep at it (though I must add that I'm about to chuck it all and
take up golf!)

Thanks again.

Howard