Lightning/Power/UPS discussion

One thing to keep in mind, as I used to work in a repair shop,
protect the phone line!

I have seen computers that people unplugged the power during a storm and
then they still lost the computer.

As mentioned, powerstrips and fuses in the power supply pretty much protect
the computer from spikes.  But a surge comming in through the phone line
goes right to the modem which generally goes right to the motherboard...bye bye

When unplugging, dont foget the modem line, or when shopping for a good
surge protector...look for one with phone line protection.

Also, best way for computer hardware upgrade...have good home owners/renters
insurance!