Mac 870 Driver Settings?

Hello!

Can anyone explain the following aspects of the Epson driver? (FWI: Mac OS 9.1)

1) What does the Printer Color Management (PS 5.5) checkbox actually DO?
According to the PS manual it allows the printer driver to convert the file
to the printer's color space, but I am not precisely sure what this means.
What IS the "printer's color space" in this case?

2) With the PC Management box UNCHECKED, I get different results by
choosing No Color Adjustment or Color Controls (sliders flat) in the driver
dialogue. Anyone know why?

3) Using the canned Epson profiles ( Space RGB Color, PC Mgmt CHECKED,
ColorSync, Epson Standard, Perceptual Intent) I sometimes get excellent
results, and sometimes have to tear up the resulting prints. Is this a
generic problem with the profiles, or is something unusual happening?

Many thanks to anyone who can help with any of this. And I thought digital
printing would be easier than wet darkroom. HAH!

Les
-