Re: The Color Of Gray

In a message dated 1/30/01 5:09:08 AM, nickjahn@uswest.net writes:

>I think I know the answer to this but I just want to check to make
>sure. I am using Mac 8.6, ColorSync 2.6, Epson 1160, Profiler RGB,
>Photoshop 6. I have profiles that produce matching prints to my
>calibrated monitor. I am a commercial photographer (25 years). I have
>some tabletop product shots on gray formica. The colors of the
>products on the gray background match my monitor. The gray background
>does not. Depending on what profile I use, the gray is reddish,
>greenish, bluish, etc, but not gray. Not only does the gray look gray
>on the monitor, but, using the info palette, I know that (all the
>colors are equal) it is gray. So, is this an impossibility, to get
>neutral gray in RGB files? Like I said, the other colors look fine.
>Must I desaturate the background to get it to be neutral? Thanks.

Desaturating it won't help, as it is how the output profiles are printing a
neutral gray that is the problem. Using a scanner to read your target, as
ProfilerRGB does, is just not going to get that last bit of accuracy you are
looking for. ProfilerPRO improves the results on neutrals, but even there
there can be variations that the most decerning photographer would pick up.
Using DoctorPRO on a ProfilerPRO profiles seems to give the best results to
date (though you are working with nearly invisible curve changes), and
perhaps further improvements will be made to the initial gray balance of
ProfilerPRO profiles in future versions of the software. If you are a
professional looking for salable results, the expense of the advanced
software and a spectro is something you should consider.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-