Re:Hue errors and print fidelity

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>At 9:55 AM -0800 1/24/01, Jon Zax wrote:
>My experience would bear out that the "sky blue" problem is a hue
>error, and further more that
>it is being caused by the profiling.

At 9:55 AM -0800 1/24/01, Jon Zax wrote:
>These are very good profiles but there is a shift to a purple sky
>when certain blues are in the original scan. So I simply  go to the
>HSL control panel, select Blue only and shift it to the cyan
>side of blue, also about 10~15°, everything else seems to stay put
>and the sky cleans up.
>Until now I just accepted this as part of the "black box" CMYK
>conversion of the Epson driver
>  with the AIJ inks, because they do have a tendency towards a warm
>reddishness, and this purple
>sky was an issue I'd run into printing on my Iris machine, directly
>attributable to various
>CMYK conversions.
>I do not regard this as a problem, just another example of how print
>making is a craft, and an
>>art and there is no substitute for experience.

	John, thanks for the post. I have been following this "hue
error" thread from the beginning and was waiting for a chance to try
some of the suggestions. Your experience sounded so much like mine, I
had to try your method.
	I have also had very good results from Profiler RGB, with the
exception of the "purple blues". I picked two of my photos that had
given me a lot of trouble; one, a covered bridge with bright blue sky
and blue shadows in the snow, and the other a waterfall taken in open
shade, with very blue water and shadows. I selected Blue in the HSL
panel and dialed in 15 on the cyan side. I then made small 3x5 inch
images of before and after and printed them simultaneosly on Epson
HWM (1160, Generations 4) using a profile that gave very good colours
except for the blues. The difference was remarkable - well worth
further exploration.
	I loved your last line about print making being a craft and
an art. I just wrote to David Miller of ColorVision this morning,
musing about how many of us (myself included) have become a bit
spoiled with all this new technology. We expect it should work
perfectly all the time, with little or no input from us (after all,
we paid enough for it!). I printed Cibachromes for 25 years, and just
recently I am starting to get inkjet prints that are better in almost
every respect. No dust spots, either <g>.

Regards,
Roger Smith
-

</x-flowed>