Re: Scanning for printing/profiling question

In a message dated 1/18/01 1:20:14 PM, rlphoto@alltel.net writes:

>> Unless you have a  good source profile, converting is not actually an
>option,
>> even though Photoshop seems to imply it is...
>
>This sure cleared up a lot of fog. What takes place if one trys to
>convert When there is no profile?

It asks what profile you want to convert from, if you don't have one, you
can't select it...

>> >   Could someone explain to me how important it is for photoshop to
>know
>> >exactly what color info it has coming into it?
>>
>> For speed and convenience, it is helpful; but if you are willing to take
>the
>> time to correct visually on screen, then it may actually be your best
>choice
>> to open raw in high bit into Photoshop, then correct visually on your
>> calibrated monitor.
>

>So am I to understand that once a raw file is corrected on a calibrated
>monitor, and is saved to a folder, Photoshop then understands what it
>is?

Once it has been corrected to look good on a calibrated monitor, it has good
color. Once it has been saved with Photoshop set to tag all saved files, its
tagged so its space is known.

If it is not saved, then there is no profile to send to the
>printer? (If one would print the color corrected raw file with out
>saving it first. I have no idea why anyone would do this,but for
>examples sake)

In Photoshop 6 if I open a digital camera image, correct on screen, and go to
print, it has no source space to list yet (if I've not yet saved it) so I
cancel out of the print dialog, do an "apply profile"  (selecting my
workingspace) and then print.

>A good source profile might speed this process up, but it
>> also might hammer your data.
>

>Is the Idea here to correct the image and create a profile in the
>scanner software?

No, the idea is to bring raw, high bit data into Photoshop with all its
numbers uncompressed and unaltered, and then adjust it until those numbers
fit the space they are in, with as little trauma as possible.

sort of what my hp already trys to do?  In other words
>my hp is working in a srgb color space. It scans the data and creates a
>profile. When it gets to photoshop, photoshop says hey look, we are
>working in adobe rgb, you need to convert to it.  Doing this doesn't
>change the content of colors,because we are going into a bigger space.
>Now going the other way around is going to clip a lot of colors.  My
>question is when I look into the hp scanners color management folder
>there is only one profile called (srgb color space profile) The hp
>driver just adjusts all my scans to fit this one profile?

"Adjusts" is too nice a word... its probably more like "brutalizes"...

>>  If I scan a target for
>> >making printer profiles on a flat bed scanner that just sends raw data
>> >to photoshop(I think the epson twain software will do that) when does
>> >photoshop/profiler figure out What it really has?
>>
>> That refers specificly to the ColorVision Profiler scanning process,
>and they
>> don't hand out descriptions of how it does it; or else everybody else
>would
>> do it too... you just have to have faith that what they do works, and
>it
>> does...
>

>So for color vision raw uncorrected data is going to be the best?

Not necessarily, but its definately the place to start. Then if your results
are not ideal, there may be adjustments that ColorVision tech support can
suggest that will improve things.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com