Re: Epson Black ink is Green

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>CARL GROHS, JR. wrote:

> would it be possible to point us in the general direction/proceedure for
> "proper calibration"? I've fooled around with my 870 and have yet to come
> up a really good neutral b/w print.

I've found that different people have wildly varying expectations, so that
may be at least part of the issue.  I can only say that my 1270 will
produce
a b/w print that is much more neutral than I could ever get out of earlier
Epson printers (a Photo and an EX).  Good enough that on more than one
occasion I've shown prints to experienced b/w photographers who had no idea
that they were looking at inkjet prints.

I do very few b/w prints so my workflow is centered around delivering a
predictable color image.  If calibrated specifically for b/w maybe I could
get a little better yet.  I go into the advanced mode and set the driver to
the PhotoRealistic setting and tweak the various sliders (it doesn't take
much) until I get a print that visually nearly matches my calibrated
display.  I then save those settings and use them for all subsequent
profiling and printing.  I profile with CompassProfile and a Digital
Swatchbook; and sometimes tweak the results a bit with Kodak's Custom Color
ICC.  I do most of my printing to the standard Epson Photo Paper.  I also
use the Heavywieght Matte paper.

Bob Smith<

Thanks, Bob, that's at least a pointer in a direction.

Warmest Regards,
Carl Grohs, Jr.    Design Directions    Eden, NC
-

</x-charset>