RE: Soft Proofing in PS 6

Ron,

I'm not sure why you asked the question in a public forum and yet addressed
it directly at me. I'll assume that it was simple mistake, this time ;-)

> an would you please explain what you mean by the last sentence?  What is
> the Photoshop default Soft Proof profile?  Does this apply to Photoshop 6
> running on a PC?

Nope, relates to both Mac and PC platforms and is simply addressing an issue
that nobody else actually thought to mention. Out of the box - "Working
CMYK"

Remember, Softproof setup is "Sticky", but what got stuck caused a lot of
folk confusion!

On the Adobe User forums folk complained (loudly) that even though they
configured a softproof and saved it, it was not the selected (default)
softproof when they reopened Photoshop. In some instances folk found their
softproof always returned to RGB monitor, a single system cmyk, etc. etc.
but damned if they could make their own softproof stick!. More typically,
the default will be the working cmyk setup.

To make your own say matt paper profile the default you MUST run softproof
setup with NO documents open. Doing it this way ensures that next time you
reopen Photoshop "YOUR" preferred softproofing setup will be the one
activated when you click on "Proof Colors".

Whether you actually want to have the system default to your proof setup is
your business, I just told you how, which is something nobody else
(apparently) seemed to manage.

One of the most annoying things for folk trying to track this down was the
number of other folk who said, heh mine is okay, but hadn't got the first
clue how they got to were THEY where.

Ian Lyons
http://www.ian.lyons.btinternet.co.uk

-