Re: Converting Mac .ICC to Windows .ICM

In a message dated 10/30/00 7:24:55 PM, patrick@synaptic.bc.ca writes:

>Just this morning I received some Scanmaster 4500 profiles from
>
>Howtek.  Photoshop chokes on them because, I presume, they're Mac
>
>native files and I'm running Win95.  There's probably a way to
>
>translate these files for Windows, and I'm hoping someone here has the
>
>quick answer.

Color Profiles under Windows are written exactly to the ICC specs, and will
be accepted with file name extensions of either .icc or .icm. Some third
party developers may not have been clever enough to allow the .icc extension,
so may require .icm. But that is substandard programming on their part, not
MicroSoft's fault. A Mac profile may not have a file name extension at all,
but adding one is not a big deal. If the profiles still choke with a file
name extension, then it is likely due to some other violation of ICC
protocols, though getting a utility that strips the Mac resource  fork off
them would cover another slim possibility. Canned device profiles are seldom
accurate enough to be worth the work of troubleshooting them, however.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com