Re: Printer DPI vs Resampling

This is getting a bit off subject, but the early photographers WERE searching for
more permament media, which is one of the reasons you see so many different types
of media in the 1800's. They were competing with paintings of the masters of their
time. For example, an early photo lab in San Francisco was using a prewash of the
bay salt water and in so doing discovered that it increased the life of their
prints. Also, most of the "fine art" prints of the day were made on known
"archival" water color papers.
Dave Belew

Bob Tyson wrote:

> >Bob Tyson <bobicho@earthlink.net> writes on 29 October 2000 at 18:56:17 -0800
> >
> >  > I'm maybe more testy than usual because I bumped into a photograph
> >  > (no--- more than one) at SFMOMA this afternoon that blew me away,
> >  > made me remember why I'm in this game at all. A view of a glacier in
> >  > the Alps, 1870's or so, a gorgeous carbon print. Wilhelm longevity?
> >  > Superfluous. DPI? You're kidding! Tonality, edge, luminosity, print
> >  > color? I forget the details. It was gorgeous. I could go on.
> >
> >Wilhelm longevity, unknown.  ACTUAL longevity, critically important,
> >or you couldn't have seen this photo more than 100 years after it was
> >taken.
>
> Thank you David. My point, precisely. But beyond that, at some level
> "longevity" may not even be so important...I doubt the carbon
> printers were first of all bothered with that. It's such a fussy
> process, and platinum gives an even more stable result with 1/10th
> the work. But what you SEE in the result is something else, a world
> of its own. "Longevity" is a nice bonus, in that case.
>
> Bob Tyson
> -

Dave Belew

http://www.homestead.com/davebcamera/Homepage.html