Another Possibility, was Re: Orange shift a myth?

Bob Meyer wrote:

> Now here I agree with you.  I suggested near the
> beginning of the oragne shift saga that the next
> generations of Epson's photo printers might have an
> additional "print" head that sprayed a clear sealer on
> the print as it exits the printer.
>
> Sealing the print is probably a good solution, but
> tyring to get an adequate, consistent layer with a
> spray can is beyond my current skill set.

 Along those same lines, may I suggest another possible solution? I
should probably keep this one to myself but since I have received so
much useful info here I'll be free. It may be a dud anyway.

 Assuming that the reason the "Pretty good Privacy" paper allows fading
of the light cyan ink is because the privacy is not so good, due to it's
micro porous capillaries , little caverns are open to the air and the
ink is subject to too many fresh air ions. One way to close the little
windows is to spray goop into them, but another way may be to melt them
closed. I don't know the melting point of the resin or how much heat the
ink can take but maybe there is a happy balance where heat can be
applied to the surface just quickly enough to slightly fuse the resin
thus occluding the pores and increasing the "privacy". Doing this could
also possibly result in an even glossier finish, much the way glass can
be heat polished. It may be worth trying if anyone has an old laser
printer to run a print through, but this is doubtful as the heat comes
from the backside of the paper and  could just create a big mess. Maybe
I'll try the broiler...heehee. It may take something different like
passing something very hot across but not touching the front surface,
like a hot wire or tube halogen. I could easily see epson designing
something like this into a printer before having a sealer sprayer, but
who knows what the future holds.

 amazing how the customers get to finish the beta testing
cycle for everything these days. ;-)

 Anyway,  just an idea. Engineers? Choir....