Re: CMYK at ColorVision (was: New 2.06 versions of Profiler/Doctor software posted)

In a message dated 10/29/00 9:36:45 PM, samcc@vom.com writes:

>I appreciate David giving us this alert and that cautionary note.
>But having read the 2.06 Update Notes I'm not feeling so good about
>ColorVision/Datacolor.
>
>The 2.06 Update Notes announce "... a change in specification ..."
>for Profiler RGB: "If you need to build CMYK profiles, you will have
>to use a different ColorVision product." Some change in
>specification. (Are the White House staff already migrating to the
>dot.coms?)
>
>But this seemed not to affect me because months (that long!) ago, I
>bought the different ColorVision product Profiler CMYK (and Doctor
>Pro to go with it and Profiler RGB).
>
>The next sentence says, however, that "Profiler CMYK will not work
>under Photoshop 6, and warns of this." So? So I got the wrong
>"different ColorVision product". What's the right one? A $900
>ProfilerPro that needs a spectrophotometer to keep it happy?
>
>Or is this period, end of story? Change of title to "Stranded by
>Horses and Abandoned by ColorVision"?

Lets not get hysterical here... as I've mentioned before there are two
intertwined issue here:  Photoshop 6 compatability, and ProfilerRGB's
capacity to build CMYK profiles.

Photoshop 6 has eliminated chunks of code that Profiler software used in its
CMYK process, and CMYK profiles will not be buildable under PS6 until this
has been replaced.  This is true for all versions: ProfilerRGB, ProfilerCMYK,
and ProfilerPro. Until this has been dealt with no version of the Profiler
software can build CMYK profiles using Phothshop6, but all work fine with
Photoshop 5.x. So no one is pressuring you to buy ProfilerPro; continue to
use the software you have, or upgrade to the new eeds and budget allow.
Nobody owes you a free update to your previous version that is compatible
with newer programs, and if they offer such an update with a reduced feature
set, then that's not such a bad deal. Keep in mind that many of the users
that are being offered free updates never bought *anything* from ColorVision,
and have been upgraded for free already from Horses MatchLock Profiler I or
II.

ProfilerRGB is being simplified to truely be an RGB profiling package. Those
users which have been using it to build very simple CMYK profiles (similar to
the fixed setting profiles available from EZ Color or WiziWYG) have been
advised by me from the start that its preferable to use ProfilerCMYK for
this, as it has the necessary tools to do it right. Remember that unless you
have a true CMYK RIP, then CMYK profiles are unusable; and if you have spent
the money on a RIP it makes sende to get the control that RIP offers by
having ink limit and balck generation controls, which ProfilerRGB does not
have in its CMYK profiles.

So, yes; one feature of limited value has been eliminated from updates of
ProfilerRGB, in part due to changes in Photoshop 6. If this causes you to not
have a warm fuzzy feeling about ColorVision, I think you are missing a lot of
other factors... particularly as a ProfilerCMYK owner, who shouldn't have
been bothering this this feature anyhow.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com