RE: Printer DPI vs Resampling

<x-flowed>>  > Psssssttttt, Joe---- has it ever occurred to you to try EACH method,
>>  evaluate, and go the route that LOOKS better, to YOU?????
>
>I completely agree, try it and see if you like it!  But, it is easier to
>ask others, and can save you a lot of paper and time...
>
>>  This
>>  discussion has the same structure of "rules" as does art.
>
>That sounds cute, but it really doesn't apply to this as easily as it does
>to 'art'.  There are technical reasons why some methods work better than
>others that aren't subjective, and I believe understanding those technical
>reasons gives you more 'tools' to possibly get better results with.

Forget "cute." I added those lines as a little bit of play amid all
the ZeeReeIous stuff on this list. Sure, getting hits on experiences
from others is fine. If you've read the posts you know that I'm
hardly alone in answering the question, "Does the dpi sent to the
printer matter if it's not a rational fraction of the output dpi?"
with: "NADA, zip, not a bit."

At least in most cases, I'll bet. The ONLY final answer will be what
you or I or some other person SEES when we run the drill for
ourselves, no?

BTW maybe I screwed up in listing the two rules of art. More
properly, they are:

Rule #1: Art has no rules.
Rule #2: See rule #1.

There's no free lunch, either! I know one holy grail is finding a
magic combo of procedures, profiles, soft- and hardware so that the
captured image from any source effortlessly renders itself on
whatever combination of ink/paper etc we may choose. All I can say
from years of struggle (why am I on this list myself??) with these
matters is that elbow grease has no peer when real results are at
stake. And the real risk is spending a fair amount of time, paper,
ink, and "cycles" to push the thing into that beyond that is so
satisfying but so rare: excellence.

I'm maybe more testy than usual because I bumped into a photograph
(no--- more than one) at SFMOMA this afternoon that blew me away,
made me remember why I'm in this game at all. A view of a glacier in
the Alps, 1870's or so, a gorgeous carbon print. Wilhelm longevity?
Superfluous. DPI? You're kidding! Tonality, edge, luminosity, print
color? I forget the details. It was gorgeous. I could go on. I think
if all you want is a formula for selling widgets in the market, fine,
these formulae that are so blasted elusive are good to tinker with,
and spend enormous amounts of time/energy on. If your goal is to make
a strong, expressive object, then maybe those issues are much less
critical. If durability is so important, and also reliable color
management, perhaps the digital world may or may NOT yet be mature
enough at the level of practice represented on this list, even though
the wealth of practical knowledge here is amazing-- and very useful.

Show me a truly well-made thing and I'll not care at all how it was made.

Bob Tyson
-

</x-flowed>