Re: how to compare inksets & gamuts

<x-flowed>Maybe its useful (see below), if you know what you are doing. For
example, suppose you have a presumed wide gamut recording media, such
as an Ektaflex slide. You wish to print the image on that slide.
(instead of view it on a slide projector, or even scan it and view it
on your monitor). Now you have Chromix ColorThink, and you are able
to develop 3D gamut shapes of a multitude of profiles, some of your
scanner, some of your monitor, some of your working spaces, and some
of your various assorted papers, which have profiles. Ideally what
you would like to do (or at least I would like to do) is to determine
how much of the image on that slide can slip through all the hoops of
the various processes I am going to use, and come out the other end
(of the device/workflow tunnel) on paper. As a starting imponderable,
I don't know the gamut latitude of my image. ! (yes I have IT8
targets of Ektaflex, but I know nothing really about my slide)

Although I really don't have Steve's ColorThink (yet), I have yet to
understand how this is going to tell me (exactly) where the pinch
points are in my workflow, or even give me specific directions as to
how to tweak devices, workspaces - to ream out everything so that
Ektaflex's "Gamut Potential" becomes realized - - on paper. If
Steve's software could "contrast and compare" multiple gamut spaces
in such a way that "voids", "gaps", "gamut omissions", or "dropped
data" are depicted, either graphically or with nice diagnostics,
actions might be taken by the user to "change the entire system",
from slide to paper. Now that might be progress.

Working with 3D globs is difficult visually. If you juxtaposition
multiple globs onto a single "L" axis you have "gibberish". "Flying
around" a single glob makes for nice sightseeing, but comes up short
on answers. Easier with multiple 2D slices, at various L values. But
at the end of even this you really have not much more than fatigue -
- unless there was a structured analysis of your system/intentions
and implications.

Correct me if I am wrong. But I don't think we are there yet with
either our thinking (about this issue) or software. And, maybe we
don't ever have to get that sophisticated until someone invents both
ink and paper that can theoretically hold the "gamut potential" of
the best recording media. We have a brilliant, saturated "color
basket" in the slide, and are attempting to place it on (relatively
speaking) a blotter paper. Perhaps 60 percent of the "gamut
potential" of the slide is lost.

>At 1:37 PM -0400 10/28/00, Dan Culbertson wrote:
>>Also there is a nice commericial package called Chromix ColorThink from
>>Steve Upton at http://www.chromix.com which has a very nice gamut viewer
>>(among many other profile tools).  Mac only so far though Steve is
>>entertaining the idea of a Windows version.  Email him if you would buy a
>>Windows version since he needs to know if it is something worth doing.

>From: bfraser@amer.net (Bruce Fraser)
>To amplify on what Dan said...
>
>Judging gamuts from 2D plots can be quite misleading. Gamuts are
>really quite complex 3D shapes: 2D plots are useful as visualization
>aids, but they're limited to a single luminance level. You can
>produce many equally valid 2D plots that will give you different
>answers.
>
>Steve's tool lets you compare 3D gamuts in 3D, which is much more useful.
>
>Bruce
>--
>bruce@pixelboyz.com

</x-flowed>