Re: Archival Inks for CMYK Proofing

<x-charset iso-8859-1> At 09:35 PM 10/21/00 -0700, Jack Clark wrote:

> >So, I guess my basic question is, does the Extreme Gamut inkset
have a
> >large enough gamut to do a decent job for pre-proof proofing on a
Stylus
> >3000?
>

> Xtreme Gamut (Xg) should have awesome gamut, if it's
> anything at all like the other Ilford/Archiva derivatives
> I've worked with.  And on the 3000, it should run without
> problems.  However, its main selling point -- its archival
> properties -- are not proven or guaranteed for arbitrary
> paper types.
>
> I find it interesting that Xg paper uses a gelatin surface.
> I wonder if the paper surface, as much as the ink, is
> responsible for Xg's presumed "archivalness?"
>
> rafe b.

I wouldn't be surprised to find good old Epson dyes lasting longer on
gelatin (any dye for that matter), but I haven't seen them (Epson dye)
work there yet.  I get mottling etc.  I suppose the advantage Ilford
has over the other players is experience with archival issues, and it
may be that the Archiva's were formulated with gelatin receivers in
mind.  Not a bad idea.

Dave

</x-charset>