business card stock (was: Cardstock and Cleaning Heads)

<x-flowed>Crane has a nice 110-lb., all-cotton, wove-finish, 8.5 x 11 sheet in
their "Crane Cover" line in Ivory, Natural White, and Fluourescent
White, and they'll send a single, 125-sheet box to you for about $18
plus shipping. It's not photo-quality finish, but it's lovely paper,
and I sometimes use it in my 900.

1-800-5CRANE6 can be called for a few sample sheets.

For Sabrina's use I'd suggest Crane's 90-lb. sheet instead, because
in business-card size I think it's both thick enough and stiff
enough. It's about $14/box, available in Pearl White, Moonstone Gray,
and Azure Blue as well as the Whites, and I think a little easier for
the 900 to live with.

Tiny type can be a problem with all-cotton stock. But I've usually
been able to cope with Multiple Master fonts from an "open" face or
even with just the Verdana fonts that come with IE (for a WinTel
stricken client who wanted to print his own stationery). Another
strategy is to print the text on one side with a laser or an Alps (or
PiezographyBW?) and print a photo on the other side with an Epson. I
think one side of Crane's Cover is very slightly smoother than the
other, but I can't tell the difference. If I could, I'd use the
smoother side for the text.

Sam

"Sabrina L. Nelson" <sabrina@alttv1.com> wrote:

>Cardstock:
>
>Is there such a thing as 110 lb. cardstock (the thickness should be
>"exact index" or something similar) that has a photo-quality finish
>and is suitable to use in the Epson Stylus 800?  I want to print
>short runs of biz cards for my clients and I'm not too thrilled with
>the thickness of the other papers I've used, such as Kodak or Epson.
>The print quality is superior (yes, even on Kodak), but the
>cardstock itself is too floppy.  Since my customers would only want
>a few cards, it would be too costly to send them out for 4-color
>process.
>
>I've printed all sorts of things on regular 110 lb. cardstock and it
>works great in this printer.  Since this stock is essentially "thick
>paper", one can only print at 360dpi and only small illustrations,
>but it does a great job so long as the graphics are not full-bleed,
>full color. [snip]

</x-flowed>