New Epson printers released in Japan

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset="iso-8859-1"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Someone graciously translated the web page which describes the
new Epson photo printer for me. Actually, there is not much more than what has
been reported:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>1. The addition of the 7th ink, a dark yellow, is supposed to
create a more natural looking photo, especially in the blue range. The two small
images on the page presumably illustrate this (the new print is on the right),
but I can't see any difference on my monitor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>2. The increased ability to control the placement of the drop
allows Epson to use a 2 picoliter drop. As before, the printers use three
different sized drops, depending on the printing resolution.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>3. The addition of more nozzles supposedly increases the
printing speed. The text suggests that the speed has doubled, but it's not clear
what the dpi setting is and what the image is. It seems that the image of the
cycle and veggies is the target image. Despite this lack of clarity, I'd say
it's safe to assume the speed is improved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>4. Bleed prints are now possible, though the only supported
sizes are A4 and postcard. Other sizes presumably have the same .12" border. I
have no idea if this is a software or hardware issue -- my guess is that it's
both.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>5. The printer uses archival inks. This issue isn't that
important to me, so I didn't ask as many questions as I probably should have.
But my impression is that the inks are the same as the inks used in the 870/1270
series.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>6. Thicker media is supported. Media up to 2.5mm can be used,
and, with the optional CD printing accessory, you can print on CD-Rs (or other
CDs if they have the necessary coating).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hope this helps.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

</x-html>