Re: Epson-What is the truth?

Michael Hobbs wrote:

> There have been several second hand reports on the net about what Epson
> 'said' or claimed to say about a fix to this problem. Has there been
> anything definitive published from Epson stating that they will or will not
> fix or improve the image stability issue.

Do you mean "definitive", as in "on the EPSON website?"

NO...

Nor are they affixing Orange Bumper Stickers with Black Lettering proclaiming "DANGER: ORANGE SHIFT POTENTIAL" to the box of every x7x printer sold... Let's get real, puhleaze?

This is starting to remind me of the "Crunchy Frog" Sketch again...

On the other hand...

At CNN.com:

              "The ideal solution would be an ink that won't break down from ozone
                exposure. But a change in ink isn't as simple as it sounds, says Greg
                McCoy, Epson's senior product manager for consumables (ink and
                paper)"

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/09/14/epson.image.fading.idg/index.html

Or from EPSON's VP for Marketing, even as he tries to point solely at the paper:

"Our next step will be to release a reformulated Premium
Glossy Photo Paper, which will be distributed in early October. This
paper delays the effects of airborne contaminants, but it does not solve
the problem."

http://macweek.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/storyforums/storyforums/_2000_09_03_0908colorgeek/forum.pl?read=86

I could  go on, but to find more... Look at come of the articles at:

http://www.p-o-v-image.com/epson/links.htm

> - ----Or, any suggestion from them as to what we all might do in the meantime?

Oh sure:

1)    Frame prints behind glass - has its own attendant problems including the reported formation of "ghost images" on the inside of the glass in some circumstances

2)    Keep them in sleeves

3)    Use the new glossy paper when available... but that only increases print life 4-6 times... No good if your print life is between 12 hours and 1 month on the old glossy...  Nor any good if you sell/display prints at galleries or send prints out to clients or potential clients at various
locations..

These are taken from the same articles and from e-mail directly to affected consumers from EPSON...

Keith Krebs

--
{           For the latest on the 1270/870/875DC Orange-Shift Issue          }
{                 Head to http://www.p-o-v-image.com/epson/    or            }

-