Re: ink fading with an HP for a change

In a message dated 7/10/00 5:48:57 PM, ctoscano@staedtler.ca writes:

>I think you may want to look at Staedtler Jet Ink products.

Running an  Architectural studio, I am certainly familiar with the
Staedtler/Mars name...

They currently

>maintain the best solution for bulk refill  ink systems for HP 2000 2500
>
>3000 3500
>
>designjets.

Interesting, considering HPs very tight fisted approach to this...

 The ink is so closely matched that you really can't tell a

>difference, its in that 5% range where its virtually impossible with the
>
>naked eye to see a difference.

As long as the gamut is good I can make the needed adjustments through device
profiling; most users tend to use the machine's color settings which would be
an issue, but since I brew my own, the exact match is not important.

Plus Staedtler refills the existing HP

>cartridge so there is no interference with any hardware that would void
>
>warranty.

This is the crux of the issue: HP will not sell the cartridges alone (only
wiht the bulk ink supply and service station, making for an expensive
combination) and you are claiming tht you are using refilled HP carts, so
this means they are second hand. Well, I can't keep brand new HP carts
running long enough to ue up a single batch of their bulk ink, let alone run
overtime to use a second batch of third party ink. I have to assume you are
reclaiming HP carts using something like Lyson's Dead Head cleaning solution,
which I can do myself, if it comes to that. So at that point I would simply
be buying bulk ink by the bottle from Staedtler... when what I was really
looking for was a source of *new* HP carts, without the bulk ink included,
which HP refuses to sell,  specificly to make life difficult for outfits like
Staedtler. By the way: HP can indeed void the users warranty for using third
party ink, even with their own carts... if they can prove it was the ink that
caused the damage.

>If you need more info check out the web site www.staedtler.com.

I did, but I could only find the ink section in German, which left me a bit
short on info...

You did not address my original issue of short term fading, though I did see
pigment inks on the list; I wonder if they are less clog-prone than HPs
pigment inks? What I would love to see is an encapsulated pigment ink,
similar to Epson's latest, in bulk for these HP printers. That would minimize
the clogging issue by keeping the pigment in suspension, while improving
adhesion and gamut.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-
*      SAVE MONEY on inkjet cartridges. BUY genuine Nectron compatible      *
*  cartridges for Epson or Canon.  Colors will be sharper, brighter, more   *
* accurate. Fine quality paper, too. http://www.1asupplies.com and save now *