Re: Colour Management and RIP help with my Stylus 3000

In a message dated 7/8/00 6:14:13 PM, toolrules@home.com writes:

>1.     I still can't figure out whether the Epson Stylus soft RIP is
>
>included or I have to buy it separately. Does it even work with
>
>Windows 2000?

It is included, but has some problems with Win2K... read on and you may not
need to worry about this

>2.     Is that RIP any good or should I buy a third party software
>
>RIP such as Best or Onyx or Wasatch, etc. What are the main
>
>differences/reasons to use a different RIP ? Will Pressready do the
>
>job?

Epson's RIP will not run CMYK through without involuntary reconversion to
RGB, which loses a lot of color control, but especially black channel
control. Other RIPs have varying qualities of screening and color management;
PressReady has excellent screens and very good color management, once you
fiure out how you need to be using it. I would recommend it; but remember,
Win2K is a challenge still for a lot of advanced software...

>3.     We plan on refilling our cartridges to bring printing costs
>
>down and possibly do some in-house pay for print work if it will RIP
>
>and Print fast enough. Epsons obvious bias notwithstanding, is this a
>
>good idea?

It is not a blazingly fast print solution, but modest runs can be run on it.
Carts are big enough and cheap enough that you hardly need to refill unless
you are running the machine nonstop.

>4.     What is the best paper to use from a cost/quality standpoint.

Cost and quality are conflicting standpoints... differnt types of jobs demand
different papers anyhow...

>We will obviously use the hi-end stuff for near contract jobs but
>
>what would work well for pay-for-print stuff?
>

>5.    I don't yet have a densitominer. What is the best method for
>
>colour calibrating (I know this is a huge topic, is there a good
>
>website out there?)

Either look into the scanner based profiling packages, or plan to get a patch
reader and a more expensive profiling package. If you use non-Epson inks and
papers this becomes quite necessary.

Sorry this isn't comprehensive, but it's a big topic.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-