Help!! Mac 1270/Photoshop/ColorSync problem

Hi all.

I have a terrible headache with my 1270. I'm trying to print grayscales from
Photoshop 5.5 using color inks. But if I turn on colorsync in the 1270
driver, and leave the 'printer color management' box checked, Epson Monitor
reports that it can't talk to the printer. As soon as I uncheck the 'color
management' box, the problem disappears. This happens independent of
background printing status, and even when just running off a barebones set
of extensions.

Tech: Mac OS 9.04 on a g4/350, Stylus driver 6.3 AE, Colorsync 3.01,
Photoshop 5.5.

It's driving me NUTS.

--
John Brownlow