Re: Ozone may only be an indicator

At 03:23 AM 07/03/2000 -0400, Keith wrote:

<A long rant defending his earlier input and, maybe, stirring up the waters
a bit more>

Guys!  Take three steps backwards and take a deep breath!

Keith's first theory sounded a bit dubious to me also (and I have a BS in
Chemical Engineering - albeit, a bit ancient till now) without any
explanation of possible chemistry that could account for the results.

Now, his latest posting lends more credence to his supposition.
Unfortunately, his also decending to what appears to me to be personal
attacks muddies the waters (I hope I'm not kicking up more mud with this).

It appears to be a possibility that the creation of highly reactive
atmospheric chlorine through sea salt interaction in coastal regions may be
a cause of the fading.  Since apparently not everyone in coastal regions
are experiencing the problem, an explanation for that discrepancy would
need to be found.

I think someone like Liz should print out some samples with separate blocks
of the three primary inks and expose them to her atmosphere, then send the
faded results to Epson (or their ink formulator), who should be able to
have the inks analyzed and determine which ink chemicals changed and what
they turned into.  This should give a lead as to what initiated the change
and point to the culprit and possible solutions.  Epson may be doing this
with the prints Liz and others have already provided, but trying to
determine what is happening in mixed inks in a photo might be considerably
more difficult.

As for the rest of us, we should cool it and sit back to see what comes out
of it.

James E. Martz
Milan, OH
jemartz@earthlink.net