Re: Our responsibilty with Inkjet Printing

rafeb wrote:

To suppose that one's work will bring pleasure to

> some viewer, fifty years from now, requires a bit
> of ego on the part of the artist.  That's not
> necessarily a bad thing, but I'm honest enough
> to admit that not all my work is deserving of
> such treatment.  Other folks with larger egos may
> think differently, of course.
>
> rafe b.

I hear what you're saying, and am far from thinking that my
own work is history-making.  But there's another angle:
We are now at the beginning of a new medium, not exactly
as photography was in 1839, because now we have the
whole history of photography to inform us, but similar
in that we're using a new set of tools.   And we don't
know how this beginning of inkjet printing will be valued
fifty-plus years from now.  My guess is that somebody's prints
will survive, and be valued.  Photographic glass plates were
at one time used in greenhouses, and destroyed.  Lots of
early movie reels were thrown away.  Somebody would be
pouring over them now if they had them.  What I'm saying is
that we may not be the best judges of the value of our work.
Certainly we will not be the only judges, if our work survives.

James Irelan

-