Epson responds!

Epson is listening!  In fact, they're listening in on
this list, and I think they've gotten the message that
some people are very unhappy, and that the company's
reputation is at risk.

Why to I say that?  I got a phone call this afternoon
from Mark Hogans' boss.  (I had sent a couple of
emails to Mark Hogans which included my phone
#--they're not tapping our phones <g>.)  She's going
to be calling lots of people, she told me, so don't be
miffed if you haven't gotten a call yet.  If Epson has
your phone number, and you complained, I think you'll
hear from them.  I also got permission to relay this
information, so I'm not breaking any confidences.

Anyway, she said Epson Japan is pretty positive that
the problem is occurring only with the Premium Glossy,
and that it's a problem with ozone.  I didn't think to
mention that Liz Glasgow had noticed some shift on a
heavyweight matte print, but I think Liz will be
hearing from Epson, too, so hopefully she will mention
it.

Epson doesn't know when, or even if, a fix for the
problem with the Premium Glossy will be found.  In the
meantime, Epson is willing to do, within reason, what
it takes to satisfy its customers.  She offered to buy
back the printer and all supplies, at what I paid for
them.  If I want to keep the printer for use with
other papers, Epson will purchase the paper back from
me, or trade for other Epson papers.

I explained that I was planning to run some
accelerated aging tests, starting this weekend, on
some non Epson papers, and the outcome of that test
might determine my decision.  No problem, she says, I
can make the decision on my schedule.  She also
expressed interest in my results with other papers (!)

Under the circumstances, I think this is a fair
response by Epson.  It would be nice if they could
promise a more stable glossy paper in a specific time
frame, but if they did they'd probably be lying.  It
would be nice if they'd swap me a P2000 even up <g>,
but that's not realistic, either.  (But if anyone else
gets that offer, please let me know!!!)

If the output wasn't so damned good when the image is
stable, I'd send the thing back in a minute and buy
something else.  I wish I knew how the inks will work
with the forthcoming semi-gloss paper, which is a
beautiful finish, similar to what I've always
preferred for my black and white darkroom work.

I've got some samples of Ilford paper, and there's a
local store that stocks some Pictorico papers.  I'm
going to run by there and see what they have, and then
I'll start my fade test, following Epson's drying
recommendations for all papers.

I'll let you all know the results, and I guess I'll
make up my mind after the test is done.

=====
Bob Meyer
Step Outside.  The graphics are AMAZING!