RE: Red River - glossy papers

<x-charset iso-8859-1>About a good two weeks ago I recieved a sample pack from Red River which by
the way, for around $17 for 2 sheets of everything they sell including all
of the greeting card stock and specialty art papers, was a great and cost
effective way to find out about and run some real world tests on material.
Better than buying a full package of stock only to find out it is not
compatible with your printing system. I tested a couple of the glossy stock
in the pack namely polar gloss 53# and I was impresed with the gorgeous
results. Printing the same file on say, regular Epson photo glossy, not
premium glossy, pruduces a far inferior product.  So far I have had this
print sitting on my computer room lit by two 60 watt ceiling fixture and
leaning on my window sill so it is back lit with southerly exposure.
Although I did not print a second identical print to test against at that
time, I have not detected any drastic change and to me at least, it looks as
good as it did the day I printed it. I also have a print  which I mounted
for display. It also sits near my southern window.  It originally had a very
neutral grey out of focus background which would make it easy to detect
color changes. So far so good. The one on Epson Premium glossy is now around
1-1/2 months old with no apparent changes. When I printed it I stuck it in
an empty paper package, not because I though it would be on any importance,
but just because it was there and it would protect the print surface till
fully dired. About a week later I mounted it with spray adhesive. I got some
glue on the surface and took it off with ACETONE with no damage to the
surface, the image and not ink on the cotton ball. I have just spoken with
the Red River people to order a 50 sheet pack of polar gloss and mentioned
the problem some xx70 series user have been having. She really sounded
interested and said she had not heard about this. Who knows. If I come
accross any fade problem with Polar gloss I will post any fade results as
soon as I see them. By the way, I just went to Comp USA and baught 870 color
ink carts for $14.95. This price will last until 1 July 2000. I know that
for many of you this is meaningless considering the results some of you are
getting. They also had Epson Photo Gloss for $9.95 for 20 sheets. Got some
and it does print well on the 870 but the surface is not smooth at all and
it is too thin. Good for test prints though.

-

</x-charset>